Do. Something.

It really was a crazy scenario.  

As I was sitting at this meeting listening to a social worker talk about the logistics of rescuing a child and breaking up a trafficking ring,
I started daydreaming...

a Hero Mom on a rampage.
Storming into every unsavory place, protecting the innocent, punishing those involved like a momma bear.   I imagined myself picking a hotel or truck stop, being watchful after equipping myself with knowledge of all the things to look for and do… then taking a scary plunge through a door… and what did that actually look like?  

I mean really.  {insert rolling eye emoji here please}

and as this very smart compassionate person continued to talk in the background of my daydream, real case reality set in.

The reality of me. one person. doing all that was, of course, just too much.  
Not realistic, or safe,  and completely inadequate in effecting real change for a group of people, or even one child.

But what could I really do?

The first time I was made conscious of the fact that human trafficking existed, was through friends of mine selling their home and belongings to work in Cambodia.  They collaborated with a ministry group who worked on the front lines of rescuing and restoring victims there, (50% of which are children), educating, and counseling these souls, and providing the resources they needed to learn to support themselves.  

To hear the stories of these victims and how they were being empowered to help others by finding their own voice,  to be able to come along side them, was beautiful to share in.  I wanted to be a part of that beauty.

So much of the time we are asked to give donations supporting excellent causes like the Dressember Foundation.  It can almost seem lame for lack of a better word.  
I mean if we REALLY want to do something then why don’t we just DO. SOMETHING.  

But my current reality is that I’m in my living room in yoga pants, in a season of soccer practices and teenage drama, and being honest, dealing with sickness as well.  XYZ… every. day. life.  

without knowing the first thing about a rescue operation.  

A donation does so much more than what I could do on my own.  
It makes me a Hero Mom, because somewhere out there it funds the front liners who are in a season of being able to storm into the unsavory places.  My donation combines with donations from other Hero Moms, Dads, Sisters and Brothers, to make bigger and more effective resources available.  
…Effecting Real Change.

Its the season of giving, and it's a simple thought, but don’t discount your giving.  
Your heart is doing what your hands cannot currently do…. until they can do.  


And it was through my friends in Cambodia that I learned that their team often hired retired navy seals to come in to rescue the children involved.  

Real actual heroes.  
How cool is that?

Comments